Present: Stephen Elfstrand, Elizabeth McKinney, Lori Bowen Ayre, Amy Terlaga, Steve Wills, Dan Scott, Shauna Borger, Michele Montague, Sharon Herbert, Jim Corridan, Chris Sharp
Software Freedom Conservancy Email
Elizabeth went through Bradley Kuhn's email dated 6-13-11 regarding project transition to Conservancy.
We will transfer the existing funds – the remains of the past three confererences We will also transfer the coming funds – the Evergreen summer of code conference Question: How do we tag specific funds for specific projects? Elizabeth will follow up with Bradley so that we can provide instructions to the community for donating to specific projects.
Support Evergreen – a means to contribute to Evergreen is now on the Evergreen website
Elizabeth asked if we needed a treasurer. There had been a treasurer position listed in the bylaws, and if we do not need one, any mention of it should be removed. Dan mentioned that this was just an oversight while he was editing the document.
SVN access is available to Evergreen’s conservancy records. Dan Scott will get access.
The Official Oversight Board Communication to the SFC - email@example.com Chris Sharp can transfer over member users to firstname.lastname@example.org. This will be our email list for our board-related discussions. Question: How will we participate in future discussions? We all should agree to participate and agree on the forum. The list is publicly documented so others can share in the discussion.
VOTING Lori asked if we could put something in the subject line like VOTE with a summary of the vote also in the subject line if we’re going to be voting online. The board can use +1, -1, 0 to indicate vote. Stephen Elfstrand prefers voting during the monthly meetings. Jim Corridan prefers that decisions are made during the meeting. Dan Scott would prefer the bulk of the discussion to happen online. We will hold votes at our monthly meetings after having online discussions unless there is a time constraint. An email vote will be allowed given time constraints.
Projectemail@example.com – As part of our Conservancy membership, the entire oversight board will be subscribed to the list so that we can communicate with other member project reps. We will be getting emails from all project reps in the conservancy.
Discussion with project developers – the conservancy would like to communicate conservancy information to the project developers. Dan is suggesting that a footer could be added to the Evergreen website that explains our affiliation with the SFC; Amy and Lori will talk to Anoop Atre to see if this could be added to the current Evergreen website.
Galen submitted a paragraph that explains Evergreen for the SFC website.
Oversight Board learning from SFC Elizabeth contacted Bradley to see if there are other SFC projects that we can learn from. Dan said that Bradley would be willing to sit in on our meetings to answer any questions we might have.
Follow Up from Last Month’s Meeting Evergreen Summer of Code – was there any further discussion with Jason to see if he would mentor another student? Dan preferred to have this taken out of summer of code and made into a bounty. This wouldn’t limit us to just the summer projects.
Lori reported that the IMLS group discussed using part of the IMLS grant money; this could be set aside a fund for a bounty for specific Evergreen projects. Elizabeth suggested that we set this up through the SFC.
Conflict of Interest Guidelines The following is an email from Steve Wills, dated June 21, 2011:
Just a few thoughts in the interest of efficiency.
Since our last meeting I have been studying the topic of ethics and conflicts in non-profits.
I wanted to get a feeling for current thought about the subject and I am not finished with that effort. In general, my reading centers around a debate over having a practical case approach vs. a statement of philosophy coupled with general guidelines.
Personally, I find myself leaning toward a statement of philosophy as an approach to the issue. We have the spine of this already.
I want to recognize that conflicts arise from time to time and need to be dealth with. That the topic can be uncomfortable since it implies a feeling of distrust. I like the idea of a statement that this is ok and can lend to greater diversity as long as conflicts are disclosed and members recuse themselves as necessary.
In general my reading is supporting the idea that the greater the transparency of management, the less the risks of conflict are.
I would like another month to continue this study before being proposed language changes, if any, to the board.
Respectfully, Steve Wills
Communications Committee Lori reported that due to conflicting schedules, there has been more activity on the web team list than during meetings in getting work done. Jim Craner has produced a plan for the new website including wireframes; the question remains what platform should we build it on. Drupal may be a good choice, but the team is not sure if this is the right tool. The existing website has had incremental changes made to it. Lori would like to see tighter integration between the current website designers (Ben and Anoop) and the team.
Conference Committee Chris Sharp reported that Grace Dunbar sent out the survey of the 2011 conference. Chris just put out on the list the need for a site selection committee for 2013.
Shauna and Jim will be putting together a program selection committee soon. They would like to see the 2011 survey.
Chris Sharp can set up a permanent conference list with private archives - firstname.lastname@example.org list.
The Release Process Stephen Elfstrand has suggested that we appoint a formal release manager to improve upon documentation and quality assurance for future releases of the software. Dan expressed his concern that we would be viewed as heavy handed on the matter. The best that we can do right now is to beat the bushes to get volunteers for documentation, writing release notes, and testing.
Question – how does the process work now? Anyone can be a release manager? Right now, yes, if you volunteer to write the release notes and help with the documentation, you can take on that role. However, it is a communal effort right now. What would help with the quality control – filing bug tickets as they’re found. If we could get the release team process streamlined and focused, get more non-developers involved so that the releases are more bug free.
Question – Is there a softer way to handle this than appointing a release manager? Can we put out a list of expectations? Lori has been working on an Evergreen feature list starter kit; her colleague, Brian has the job of installing the latest releases to see the new features. He can play a role here and contribute to the release notes. Right now there is a change log only for 2.1. He can help the community. Lori will have Brian contact Galen directly.
Steve Wills would like this to be a check-in topic for future meetings.
Dan Scott explained that there have been some changes made in the past couple of months – move towards git. Instead of developing right in the core repository, we’re developing off to the side and then move only more stable versions into the core.
Stephen Elfstrand suggested that maybe we use softer language than his previous suggestion of a release manager. He and Dan Scott will work on this as a recommendation to the community for more participation in the release process, including bug testing and reporting.
Domain and the SFC Do we all agree to transfer our domain to the SFC? The motion passed unanimously.
Treasurer Position Wording Motion: all mention of the treasurer position will be struck from the bylaws. The motion passed unanimously.
Copyrights, Trademarks, and the SFC GPLS will transfer over all copyrights and trademarks over to the SFC for the legal protection.
Next Steps and Recap Elizabeth will work with Bradley on the transfer of funds, copyright, trademarks Dan will work with the developers and with Stephen Elfstrand
Stephen Elfstrand recommended that we review the financial standing of the project each month.
The meeting adjourned at 2:21pm
Respectfully submitted, Amy Terlaga
Back to Minutes page